How to Prevent Falls
Most people already know that falls are a leading cause of injuries for older adults. Many of the fall hazards are caused from things around home. There are a few changes you could make around your own home to make it safer for your loved one so you could prevent falls.
- Install handrails along staircases, hallways, and any other places your loved one might need a little more support.
- Use non-slip mats to improve traction. Put them on the bathroom floors, in the shower, outside where it could be slippery.
- Install grab bars near showers, bathtubs, and toilets. Using the grab bars that are attached to wall studs are much more reliable than the ones that just stick to the walls.
- Repair any flooring that is loose or uneven. Make sure that you secure any carpet that is loose or misfitting.
- Improve lighting in hallways, stairways, and any other place your loved one may be walking during the middle of the night.
- Make sure that there is no clutter or anything on the floor for them trip on. Make sure that all rugs are properly secured to the floor.
Here at Aspen House Assisted Living we have great apartments that are safe for your loved ones and we also are there to make sure that in case your loved one does have a fall they will have help and proper care.
Aspen House Assisted Living and Memory Care
2212 East 11th Street Loveland, Colorado 80537
Visit Our Website
Like us on Facebook